The original Latin word "universitas" refers in general to "a number of persons associated into one body, a society, company, community, guild, corporation, etc." At the time of the emergence of urban town life and medievalguilds, specialised "associations of students and teachers with collective legal rights usually guaranteed by charters issued by princes, prelates, or the towns in which they were located" came to be denominated by this general term. Like other guilds, they were self-regulating and determined the qualifications of their members.
In modern usage the word has come to mean "An institution of higher education offering tuition in mainly non-vocational subjects and typically having the power to confer degrees," with the earlier emphasis on its corporate organization considered as applying historically to Medieval universities.
University Station is the busiest LRT station in Edmonton, serving an average of 29,470 passengers per weekday.
University Station was opened August 23, 1992 and was the first LRT Station located on the south side of the North Saskatchewan River. It is connected to Grandin (Government Centre) Station by the Dudley B. Menzies Bridge, a dedicated LRT bridge (with a lower level for pedestrians and cyclists). With the exception of the bridge and its approaches, the LRT line between Grandin Station and University Station runs through underground tunnels.
The station has a 123 metre long centre loading platform that can accommodate two five-car LRT trains at the same time, with one train on each side of the platform. The platform is just over eight metres wide. Access to the platform is from a concourse level by stairs and escalators located at each end of the platform. There is also an elevator at the north end of the platform. The concourse level provides access to the surface and to the university's Housing Union Building (HUB). It is the deepest station on the line, at a depth of 23 metres below the surface.
The university was ranked 15th in the UK and 76th in the world in the QS World University Rankings for 2015-16. In 2013, Birmingham was named 'University of the Year 2014' in the Times Higher Education awards. The 2015 Global Employability University Ranking places Birmingham at 80th world-wide and 12th in the UK. Birmingham is also ranked 4th in the UK for Graduate Prospects in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2015.
The municipality (ville de Genève) has a population (as of December 2014) of 197,376, and the canton (which is essentially the city and its inner-ring suburbs) has 482,545 residents. In 2011, the compact agglomération franco-valdo-genevoise (Greater Geneva or Grand Genève) had 915,000 inhabitants in both – Switzerland and France (< 30mins distance). Within Swiss territory, the commuter area named "Métropole lémanique" contains a population of 1.25 million. This area is essentially spread east from Geneva towards the Riviera area (Vevey, Montreux) and north-east towards Yverdon-les-Bains, in the neighbouring canton of Vaud (< 60mins distance).
The Republic and Canton of Geneva (French:République et Canton de Genève; Arpitan:Rèpublica et Canton de Geneva; German:Republik und Kanton Genf; Italian:Repubblica e Canton Ginevra; Romansh:Republica e Chantun Genevra) is the French-speaking westernmost canton or state of Switzerland, surrounded on almost all sides by France. As is the case in several other Swiss cantons (e.g. Ticino, Neuchâtel, and Jura), this canton is referred to as a republic within the Swiss Confederation.
The canton of Geneva is located in the southwestern corner of Switzerland; and is considered one of the most cosmopolitan areas of the country. As a center of the CalvinistReformation, the city of Geneva has had a great influence on the canton, which essentially consists of the city and its hinterlands.
Geneva was a Prince-Bishopric of the Holy Roman Empire from 1154, but from 1290, secular authority over the citizens was divided from the bishop's authority, at first only lower jurisdiction, the office of vidame given to François de Candie in 1314, but from 1387 the bishops granted the citizens of Geneva full communal self-government.
As from 1416, the Dukes of Savoy attempted to annex the city, both by claiming secular authority and by installing members of the Savoy dynasty as bishops, the city sought assistance in allying itself with the Old Swiss Confederacy.
The Republic of Geneva was proclaimed in 1541, under John Calvin, and given a constitution (Édits civils) in 1543. The Republic of Geneva reinforced its alliance to the Protestant cantons of the Swiss Confederacy, becoming an "everlasting ally" in 1584.